Global Market Research Industry Real Growth at 0.4% in ’11

September 10, 2012

This article is included in these additional categories:

Asia-Pacific | Europe & Middle East | Financial Services | Global & Regional | Market Research | Uncategorized

Global market research industry revenues reached US $33.5 billion in 2011, representing a 3.8% year-over-year increase, though that growth was a more modest 0.4% after adjusting for inflation, per details from an Esomar report [pdf] released in September 2012. Revenue growth rates differed significantly from one region to the next. When adjusted for inflation, North America and the Asia-Pacific (both at 1.7%) saw the most rapid growth, while Europe and the Middle East and Africa (-1.3%) both saw the biggest declines.

Latin America joined North America and the Asia-Pacific in seeing positive net growth, up 1.3% year-over-year.

North America Gets 1 in 3 Market Research Dollars

Esomar’s “Global Market Research Report 2012” finds that North America held 33% share of global market research industry revenues, totaling $11.2 billion. Europe accounted for the largest portion of the industry’s revenues, though, at 42% ($14.1 billion), meaning that together, North American and Europe accounted for 75% of total industry revenues.

The remaining 25% share was split as follows: Asia-Pacific (17%); Latin America (6%); and Middle East and Africa (2%).

Top 25 Research Companies’ Real Growth At 1.4%

Meanwhile, analysis from Jack Honomichl, published in Marketing News in August, reveals that the top 25 research companies saw a combined 4.1% growth in revenues in 2011, or 1.4% after adjusting for inflation. Nielsen remained on top of the rankings, with revenues of $5.4 billion, up 4.8% year-over-year before inflation. Rounding out the top 5 by revenues were: Kantar ($3.3 billion); Ipsos ($2.5 billion); GfK ($1.9 billion); and SymphonyIRI ($764 million).

comScore, which was ranked 13th, saw the fastest year-over-year growth, at 23.5%. By contrast, Lieberman Research Worldwide demonstrated the biggest decline, of 10.5%. 9 of the top 25 companies saw revenue decreases, while there was only one new entrant; YouGov, coming in at the 22st spot.

About the Data: The Esomar report eliminates exchange rate fluctuations and uses IMF inflation rates to determine growth.

The Honomichl Top 25 report describes its methodology as follows: “Invitations to market research firms with estimated annual US revenue of more than $50 million are sent in April of each year requesting revenue information for the prior year, a company profile of activities, and other company metrics. Global Top 25 rankings are based on home country revenue converted to US dollars using average year exchange rates provided by the US Federal Reserve Bank. Growth rates from the prior year to the current year for each firm are based on home country organic percent revenue change, as much as possible, which excludes year-to-year current exchange effects and acquisition or divestiture effects… Verification of revenue is required of each private firm for ranking by a third party, generally its outside accounting firm.”

45th Parallel Design Ad

Explore More Charts.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This