Americans Get Search-Happy for iPhone Info, Rely Most on Google

June 27, 2008

This article is included in these additional categories:

Paid Search | Retail & E-Commerce | Search Engine Optimization | Technology | Telecom

Some 1.3 million people conducted 6.9 million searches for iPhone-related terms in April, an inordinate majority of them conducted via Google, according to a study on “iPhone”-related search terms based on data from the comScore Marketer service.

Consumers have searched on a variety of iPhone-related topics, but the most common search term, “iPhone,” generated nearly 1.5 million searches. Also ranking high on the list were several terms relating to the anticipated next-generation iPhone, including “iPhone update” (151,000), “iPhone 2.0” (75,000) and “iPhone 3G” (60,000).


“Search is frequently a harbinger of purchase intent,” said comScore Senior VP Dan Lackner. “The increase in volume of iPhone searches demonstrates just how heavy that interest has been for the next generation of Apple’s popular phone – even when its existence was still just a rumor,” as it still was in April.

iPhone-Search Clicks Driven by Google

Of the iPhone-related searches that generated click-throughs, the vast majority (88.4%) occurred on Google search, 33% higher than one would expect given Google’s share of total internet search click-throughs.


All other search engines generated a lower percentage of iPhone-related clicks than their respective shares of total search clicks.

“This is a prime example of the importance of using consumer behavioral data when designing and evaluating search marketing campaigns,” Lackner said. “We’ve seen many times that different search engines perform better for particular brands and products, and in this case, Google appears to be the preferred choice for iPhone searchers.”

Paid vs. Organic iPhone Click-Throughs

Not surprisingly, the top destination for iPhone-related searches was Apple Inc., which attracted 17.5% of all search click-throughs. Of those click-throughs to Apple Inc., 16.5% were the result of paid search and the remaining 83.5% were from organic search results.


Google Sites, which host significant iPhone-related content on YouTube and Blogger sites, ranked second with 8.8% of iPhone-related click-throughs, nearly all of which came from organic search results.

NetShelter Technology Media, which owns several Apple and iPhone-specific content sites, ranked third with 8.4%.

Among the top 10 destinations, AT&T, Inc. – the lone cell phone carrier for iPhones in the US – had the highest proportion of their search clicks coming from paid links (42.8%).

Several of the top 10 sites had no paid search strategy but still managed to generate a substantial share of total clicks through organic results.

45th Parallel Design Ad

Explore More Charts.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This