WiFi Dominates Mobile Carrier Mix, Up 11% M-O-M

December 20, 2011

millenial-media-device-carrier-mix2-nov11-dec11.gifAll WiFi carriers combined took a 39% share of impressions on the Millennial Media mobile network, according to [download page] the November 2011 Millennial Media Mobile Mix. This represents 11% growth from 35% in October, and makes them cumulatively the top carrier by a wide margin. Verizon followed a distant second with 14% share. Other top carriers included Sprint-Nextel (13%), and T-Mobile and AT&T (8% each).

62% of all WiFi devices running on the Millennial network in November were smartphones. The remaining 38% were connected devices, including tablets, gaming devices, and e-readers.

Kindle Fire Drives Connected Device Impression Growth

millennial-nov-deviceimpressionshare.jpgConnected devices accounted for 16% of all connected device impressions on the network, representing a 14% rise from 14% in October. Amazon’s November launch of the Kindle Fire tablet, which demonstrated strong impressions from the start, contributed to the growth of connected devices. In fact, according to Millennial, impressions from the Kindle Fire have grown at an average daily rate of 19% since launch, slightly outpacing the impression numbers from the launch of the iPad in early 2010.

Smartphones led the impression share mix again, with 70% of the impressions in November, while feature phones accounted for 14%.

Looking at operating system, 50% of impressions on the network were made by devices running the Android OS, down from 56% the previous month, although Android retained the lead it has held consistently for the past year. Apple iOS accounted for 30% share, up slightly from 28%, while RIM held 17% share, representing 31% growth from 13% in October.

Touchscreen Device Impressions Falter

65% of all mobile devices on the Millennial Media mobile network were touchscreen interface in November 2011, representing a 6% month-on-month decline, after posting 6% month-on-month growth in October. Even so, touchscreen remains the leading input method on the platform, as it has for over a year, largely due to the increased popularity of smartphones and connected devices.

Touch/QWERTY followed with 13% of the device input mix, up from 11% in October.

Samsung Retakes #2 Rank

Samsung reclaimed the number 2 position on the top 15 manufacturers ranking in November, representing 17% of the impression share, and bypassing HTC, which fell from 18% to 13% share. Millennial insight indicates that in addition to the 4 Samsung phones on the top 20 mobile phones list, the popularity of the Galaxy Tab also contributed to this growth. Meanwhile, the Samsung Nexus moved up 9 spots on the top 20 mobile phones list in November, taking the number 9 ranking.

Apple continued to be the leading device manufacturer on the platform in November, representing 26% of the top 15 manufacturers impression share. Apple iPhone grew 8% month-over-month and maintained the number 1 position on the top 20 mobile phones ranking, with 14% of the impression share.

45th Parallel Design Ad

Explore More Charts.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This