MySpace users continue to favor Mobster and mafia-themed role-playing games, while a growing interest in farming games appears to be taking hold on Facebook, according to an InsideSocialGames.com July analysis of top games played on both social networking sites.
The analysis indicated that during the past month there has been significant change on both the MySpace and Facebook gaming charts, including significant gains in the role-playing (RPG) genre. InsideSocialGames.com also indicated that the social networking game space appears to be starting to mature.
MySpace Top Game Highlights
- Mobsters and Mafia Wars continue to see positive growth in monthly installs, with the latter gaining 131K more installations than Mobsters’ 46K.
- A game that combines pets and poking, SuperPoke Pets now has 5.6 million users and has surpassed regular pet game Super Pets.
- The drink sharing game Cheers, which had dropped off the charts, reappeared at #13 with about 2.9 million users. Tag Me also got added to the list with 2,666,843 users.
- Gang Wars beat out Heroes 1,971,708 to 1,964,232. However, both games were less popular than they were last month.
- Truth Box, Rockstars, and Special Forces fell off the charts, while quiz game What My Friends Think About Me moved into the rankings.
Facebook Top Game Highlights
While more violent titles hold the #1 and #2 slots on MySpace, FarmVille became the most popular game on the Facebook platform in July, with more than 16.6 monthly active users. At the same time, Farm Town has skyrocketed 40% in the last month, nearing 15 million monthly players. Mafia Wars holds the #3 spot, the analysis found.
Like MySpace, Facebook has seen similar significant changes in its top games lists over the past month, including the growth of smaller, quirkier games and a decline in once-dominant titles, which are falling on the charts.
Other Facebook highlights:
- FarmVille is now the #1 Facebook game, with over 16.5 million monthly active users(MAUs). This represents growth of 11.5 million MAUs in the last 30 days.
- Long-time #1 Texas HoldEm Poker fell three places to #4 from the top spot.
- Pet Society dropped from #3 to #6 with 14.3 million users in July, while Farm Town held at #5.
- Bejeweled grew by 1.5 million users in July to move up from #11 to #9.
- Another farming title, Barn Buddy leaped from #18 to #11 with nearly 5 million MAUs in July.
- Card game UNO BETA made its first appearance on the charts with close to 3 million users while Pillow Fight bucked previous InsideSocialGames.com predictions and hung in at #23.