What Are Some Differences Between TV-Connected Streamers And Non-Streamers?

September 13, 2019

While a small majority of US adults stream video to their TV through connected devices such as smart TVs and streaming sticks, there are still more than two-fifths (44%) of adults that don’t stream to their TV set. So, what sets streamers apart from non-streamers? Here are some key differences between the two groups, based on research [download page] from Nielsen.

For the purpose of the report, Nielsen has designated the 56% of adults who viewed at least one-minute of streaming content through an internet-connected device to their TV set during May 2019 as streamers. By contrast, the remaining 44% of adults (non-streamers) were not exposed to any streaming content on their TV during the same period.

The report reveals that streamers tend to be younger (average age of 50 years old) than non-streamers (average age of 62 years old). They are more likely to be employed (73% vs. 55%) and to have graduated from college (43% vs. 31%), while having a higher median income ($69.4K vs. $44.8K). Some 44% of streamers also have children, compared to 28% of non-streamers.

Being a streamer does not exclude these adults from consuming other forms of media. In fact, other research has found that nearly half of OTT viewing hours in the US were viewed in households that also subscribe to pay-TV. Moreover, Nielsen found that slightly more streamers (89%) watch cable TV than non-streamers (85%). On the other hand, more non-streamers (87%) watch broadcast TV than streamers (82%).

Non-streamers do spend far more time consuming content from cable and broadcast TV than do streamers. The former group spends an average of 4 hours and 26 minutes on cable (2:35) and broadcast (1:51) TV, compared to the 2 hours and 32 minutes streamers spend on these media (1:37 and 0:55, respectively).

Additionally, while it may be true that more non-streamers live in a household with a DVR than streamers, streamers are more prone to watching time-shifted TV (77% vs. 59%). The same can be said for DVD/Blu-ray players: while slightly more non-streamers own a DVD or Blu-Ray player, more streamers watch content on the device on a monthly basis than non-streamers. It may be that streamers are more attuned to receiving on-demand content.

Further data from the survey can be viewed online here.

About the Data: Methodology from Nielsen is provided as follows. “Nielsen NPOWER. May 2019 local survey (April 25 – May 22, 2019). Streaming includes viewing of at least one minute through an Internet-Connected Device (Roku, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire, etc.) or via app/web on a Smart TV. Any streaming done on a video game console is excluded. Based on all installed homes in panel, including Broadband Only (BBO). Multicultural include s Hispanic, Black, Asian-American or Other Race.”

45th Parallel Design Ad

Explore More Charts.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This